C&I RE Project Case Study (Cement sector)
Project Owner- Birla Corporation Limited (MP Birla Cement)
Project EPC Developer – InSolare Energy Pvt Ltd
With the growth of Renewable Energy (RE) in the past decade, several C&I entities have endeavoured to shift their electricity consumption from brown conventional power to green RE based power. This shift facilitates significant savings on electricity costs as well as drive down net carbon emissions, in line with several of the large-scale C&I entities sustainability targets. Hence, through this case study, we have analysed the RE adoption efforts of MP Birla Cement viz. one of the largest cement manufacturers in India.
As of March 2023, MP Birla Cement have installed a RE capacity of around 86 MW. RE solutions employed by MP Birla Cement include off-site/on-site Solar (41.2 MW), Waste Heat Recovery Systems (WHRS, 44.85 MW).
The case study highlights in detail the current RE portfolio of MP Birla Cement and RE penetration at each of the MP Birla Cement plants. Three specific MP Birla Cement plants located across the states of Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh have been further analysed to understand the complexities of cement manufacturing, its associated electricity requirements and RE plants installed at both these premises. The solar plants here have been installed and commissioned by InSolare Energy Pvt Ltd using the latest Bifacial solar module technology.
Table of Contents
- Stakeholders Overview
- Cement Manufacturing Process Overview
- Overall Renewable Energy (RE) Portfolio of BCL
- RE Penetration across various plants at BCL
- Savings and Benefits Due to RE Adoption
- Electricity Procurement Assessment at specific 3 Cement Plants of BCL
- InSolare Bifacial Project details and RE Cost Savings
- Cost Benefit Analysis Using Bifacial Technology
- Sustainability Outlook of BCL